La Habra/Chino Hills, CA – While orthodontic treatment is a rite of passage for many adolescents today, the most rapidly growing segment happens to be adults seeking treatment. Regardless of the age of the patient, there are many common myths that orthodontists hear. Dr. Robert Gire and Dr. Reza Salmassian of Ladera Orthodontics who treat patients of all ages, want to discuss some of these myths.
- The first myth: braces are only for teens. While most people conjure up an image of a metal mouthed teenager when they think of braces, it’s now very common to see 7 or 8 year olds to 70 year olds seeking treatment. Orthodontic treatment can happen at any age! Whether it’s conservative Phase I treatment to comprehensive treatment later in life, orthodontic treatment has no age limitations or restrictions.
- The second myth: Orthodontic treatment is only cosmetic. Some people may not be bothered by a less than perfect smile and they may not understand why orthodontic treatment may be necessary. While braces do provide a straight smile, they also provide a stable and properly functioning bite. Even people who have teeth that look straight can still benefit from orthodontic treatment to correct their bites. A bad bite can lead to chipping, cracking, and breaking teeth, as well as jaw and head pain. A straight smile is also a healthier smile – crooked and crowded teeth are harder to keep clean, making them more susceptible to decay and gum disease.
- The third myth: Braces are painful. While there is some discomfort associated with orthodontic treatment, patients should never be in much discomfort. With advancing technology, today’s braces are more effective and efficient than ever before. The place less friction and pressure on the teeth allowing for a comfortable teeth straightening journey. Many of the more cosmetically pleasing options like clear aligners offer higher levels of comfort.
- The fourth myth: I don’t have to worry about braces until all of the permanent teeth are in. This just isn’t true – children should see an orthodontist for the first time around the age of seven. This gives the orthodontist the opportunity to see how the smile is shaping up, notice any discrepancies in jaw growth, and to be sure the permanent teeth are erupting as they should. These early visits are important so your orthodontist can recommend treatment at exactly the right time of growth to have the most impact.
- The fifth myth: I’ll have to avoid all my favorite foods with braces. While it is true that if you wear metal or clear ceramic braces you will have to avoid certain types of foods. That’s certainly not the case with all types of orthodontic treatment. If you choose a traditional type of treatment, you’ll need to avoid anything too hard, crunchy, chewy or sticky. However, if you opt for clear aligner therapy like Spark or Invisalign, your aligners will not only be invisible, they’ll be removable as well. That means you can enjoy all your favorite foods because you have the ability to remove the aligners before you eat.
Orthodontic treatment has come a long way over the years and is more efficient, effective, and affordable than ever before. If you’ve been putting off treatment for yourself or your child, call Ladera Orthodontics (949-272-8782) today to see how orthodontic treatment can help you get the smile of your dreams.