Orthodontic & Braces Treatments For Adults
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, orthodontic treatment is not limited to children, adolescents, and teens. In fact, one in five orthodontic patients is above age 21. There are so many advantages to having straight teeth at any age.
Reasons Adults Should Consider Orthodontic Treatment?
- Traumatic or harmful bites that cause the teeth to excessively wear
- Teeth spaced apart or crowded which may lead to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw growth, pain and/or pressure
So, if you desire a healthier mouth and a more confident smile, orthodontic treatment is your solution!
Treatment Options Available for Adults
Advancements in orthodontic treatment make it easier to undergo orthodontic treatment that is more discreet. Today’s orthodontic options look better, feel better, work better, and they can also be customized to fit the lifestyle of adults.
Types of braces include:
- Clear, Invisible Removable Braces
- Tie-less or Self-ligating Braces
- Braces Behind the Teeth or Lingual Braces
- Tooth Colored or Ceramic Braces
- Traditional Metal Braces
What’s The Difference Between Adult vs. Children and Teens’ Orthodontics?
The major difference between the two is that adult jawbones have stopped growing whereas, adolescent jawbones still have the potential for growth. Therefore, adult cases are often more complex and surgical correction may be needed for jaw discrepancies. Moreover, adults may experience:
- Periodontal disease: It’s a challenge to maintain and clean crowded, crooked, and misaligned teeth and that’s why some adult patients may suffer from periodontal disease. Whereas patients who have straight, aligned teeth are less likely to experience severe gum disease.
- Missing or worn teeth: As we advance in years, the teeth might begin to wear down and move into unnatural positions. This process can be halted with proper orthodontic care. A missing tooth could cause other teeth to shift, causing a bad bite or malocclusion. This, in turn, can increase the chances of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment during teenage years: Often people suffer from orthodontic problems as adults, even after receiving some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen. This is due to the fact that they may not have completed the entire treatment when they were a child, or might have experienced a relapse over the years. Therefore, as an adult, they should receive appropriate treatment that gives them that perfect smile that they have always wanted.
So what are some other reasons you should consider treatment?
- It helps make and keep your teeth straight which leads to better oral health. Through orthodontic treatment, teeth are aligned properly making it easy to keep them clean with flossing and brushing. Additionally, it can prevent other health problems that have been linked to periodontal diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Getting that beautiful smile will boost your self-esteem and confidence.
- It gives you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without worrying about anything!
- People who leave their orthodontic problems untreated open themselves up to much worse health problems. Neglecting orthodontic treatment when it is needed can create long-term health issues which can be quite costly in the future.
Adults have very busy lifestyles, and we will ensure each office visit is convenient, efficient, and effective for you.