Orthodontics for Teenagers
Some teens may feel some anxiety when they hear that they need to get braces. However, with all the orthodontic advancements today, braces are no longer that scary or daunting. Today, there are numerous options of braces available in different materials, designs, and even colors. These new braces technologies are not only more stylish but also a lot more comfortable than ever before. The newer styles make orthodontic treatment very convenient and easy for patients. At Ladera Orthodontics, we have a great selection to choose from.
How long do teens need to wear braces?
The length of time to wear braces depends on three factors:
- Early treatment: Visiting Drs. Gire and Salmassian early will allow us to monitor the growth of the jaw and suggest required treatment when it is necessary. If we recommend initiating early treatment, it is critical to listen to this advice as it will help to achieve the best results and it can potentially save you a lot of time and money on treating avoidable future orthodontic complications. Fairly frequently, Drs. Gire and Salmassian usually prefer just to wait until the majority of the adult teeth are present. We generally place folks on a supervised recall to monitor growth so there are no future surprises.
- The severity of the bite or jaws: It is important to identify what type of treatment is required. Every mouth requires a different type of treatment. For instance, one patient may require treatment for only one year, while other patients may require over two years for a perfect outcome.
- The patient: The most important factor is the willingness and cooperation of the patient. Our doctors at Ladera Orthodontics need you to carefully follow their instructions during your braces treatment, including the proper wearing of braces, elastics or rubber bands, retainers, and any other specific instructions.
Types of Braces
There are various types and styles of braces offered at Ladera Orthodontics. Choices commonly include:
- Tooth-colored or ceramic braces
- Clear, removable braces, or invisible braces (invisible aligners)
- New low-profile metal braces
- Tie-less or self-ligating braces
The good news is that with braces today, you can look hip and stylish while undergoing orthodontic treatment. Don’t worry, we won’t cramp your style!