Ladera Ranch, CA – There are many reasons why someone may choose to avoid orthodontic treatment. At Ladera Orthodontics, Drs. Robert Gire and Reza Salmassian never want potential patients to fall prey to misconceptions they may have about adult orthodontic treatment. If you’ve avoided visiting an orthodontist but have spent a lifetime hiding your smile there is no time like the present to get the truth about orthodontic treatment and start down the path to a beautiful new smile.
“Today nearly one in four orthodontic patients is an adult,” says Dr. Gire. “However, we have discovered that many patients, even our adult patients, have some misconceptions about orthodontic treatment. We work hard to educate patients on the reality of treatment today and they are often surprised to hear some answers.”
- Misconception one: Orthodontic treatment is easily noticeable by others. Many patients are already self-conscious about their less than ideal smiles and don’t love the idea of braces drawing more attention to something they’d like to hide. The good news is there are more discreet orthodontic treatment options than ever before. While standard metal braces are still common, they are far from the only option. Invisalign and Spark offer clear aligner solutions that are virtually invisible. Inbrace (behind the teeth braces) fit along the tongue side of teeth so they can’t be seen by others. And Symetri brackets are made of clear sapphire making them incredible discrete.
- Misconception two: Braces are uncomfortable. Moving your teeth is never completely discomfort or irritation free – we are moving teeth through bone after all! However, braces don’t have to hurt. While traditional bracket and wire braces may have some level of discomfort to them as your mouth gets used to them, they are much more comfortable than braces of years past. Self-ligating braces use less friction and tension to guide the teeth to their locations and offer a higher level of comfort than traditional metal braces. Likewise, clear aligners can offer a more comfortable experience. At Ladera Orthodontics, we use Spark and Invisalign aligners that offer the highest level of comfort.
- Misconception three: Treatment will take too long. At Ladera Orthodontics we use the most cutting-edge technology and treatments allowing us to provide the very best in orthodontic care. Today’s treatments are much more efficient and effective and treatment times are often much shorter than they would have been years ago.
- Misconception four: Treatment is inconvenient. We know trying to schedule one more thing into your already busy schedule can seem impossible. Luckily, today’s treatment options don’t require as many appointments. In fact, with Spark or Invisalign, you only have to come back every six to eight weeks or so. Because treatment options are more efficient, the times you are in our office will be quicker and more efficient as well.
- Misconception five: Braces are only cosmetic. You may not be bothered by your crooked or misaligned smile and don’t think it impacts your life. But when you stop to think about all the ways a bad bite can harm your oral health, you may rethink that. Crooked, crowded and misaligned teeth are harder to keep clean making people more susceptible to decay and gum disease. And an improper bite means you are placing a disproportionate amount of force on certain teeth when you bite down. This can lead to teeth chipping, cracking, or breaking. And if you suffer from regular headaches, jaw pain, even ear pain, it could be from your bad bite.
- Misconception six: Braces are expensive and won’t be covered by insurance. Braces are an investment not just in your smile but in your oral health as well. The cost has stayed relatively stable over the years making braces a good investment. And most dental insurances will cover orthodontic treatment including more aesthetically pleasing options such as Invisalign and Spark. Before choosing treatment be sure you understand what your current insurance plan will cover. And be sure to speak with your orthodontist about payment plans and financing options that may be available.
We hope this clears the air on some of the most common misconceptions. If you have any other questions about orthodontic treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Ladera Orthodontics to schedule a complimentary consultation, 949-272-8782.